Resume building has always been one of the most complex parts of job hunting. Additionally, you will learn some practical steps to craft a job-winning resume for your next job search.
You can stick to the guidelines given below and start your resume building based on the instructions given to land a professional resume without any hurdles:
You can also consider reading the best AI resume builder to start building your resume online.
Best Resume Formats in 2023
The resume format selection can differ depending on your industry, experience level, and personal preferences.
Hence, staying current with current trends and adapting your resume is essential.
In 2023, some resume formats that may still be relevant include:
- Chronological Resume: This format lists your work experience in reverse chronological order, starting with your most recent job. It’s a classic format that highlights your career progression and is suitable for those with a stable work history and clear career objectives.
- Functional Resume: A functional resume focuses on your skills and qualifications rather than your work history. It’s helpful if you have employment gaps or are changing careers. In this format, you highlight your skills and accomplishments at the forefront.
- Combination (Hybrid) Resume: The combination resume combines elements of both chronological and functional formats. It highlights your skills and qualifications while also providing a chronological work history. This format allows you to emphasize your relevant skills and experience.
- Targeted Resume: A targeted resume is customized for a specific job or industry. It focuses on the skills and qualifications most relevant to the position you’re applying for. Tailoring your resume to each job application can increase your chances of landing interviews.
- Creative or Infographic Resume: Using a visually appealing resume format in some creative industries can make you stand out. Infographic resumes use graphics and visuals to showcase your skills and achievements. However, this format may not suit all industries or applicant tracking systems.
- Video Resume: While not a traditional format, video resumes have gained popularity in recent years. They allow you to introduce yourself to potential employers in video, showcasing your personality and communication skills. Video resumes are most effective for certain industries or roles where communication skills are crucial.
- One-Page Resume: A concise one-page resume is often preferred, especially for entry-level or mid-level positions. It forces you to focus on the most critical information and keeps your resume easy to skim.
- Online or Digital Portfolio: In some fields, such as design, web development, or writing, having an online portfolio or personal website can be more impactful than a traditional resume. You can include links to your work, projects, and achievements.
Remember that the best resume format for you will depend on your unique circumstances and the specific job you’re applying for.
Essential Resume Sections for 2023
To make your resume look organized and professional, you can add the following section headings to your resume:
- Resume Header
- Contact Details
- Profile Title
- Resume Summary/Objective
- Key Skills
- Technical Skills
- Work Experience
- Training & Internship
- Education Details
- Extracurricular Activities
- Additional Information
You can shuffle some sections based on your selected resume format. However, you must remember to add as many relevant sections as possible to your resume for a better impression during the resume screening round.
How to Build an Outstanding Resume in 2023?
Building an outstanding resume in 2023 requires a thoughtful approach that aligns with current industry trends and employer expectations. Here are some tips to help you create a standout resume:
- Choose the Right Format: Select a resume format that best suits your background and the job you’re applying for. Standard formats include chronological, functional, combination, and targeted resumes. Consider your career stage and the strengths you want to highlight.
- Focus on Clarity and Readability: Ensure your resume is easy to read and navigate. Use a clean, professional font and maintain consistent formatting throughout. Use bullet points to break up text and make it skimmable.
- Tailor Your Resume: Customize your resume for each job application. Highlight the skills, qualifications, and experiences most relevant to the specific role you’re applying for. This demonstrates that you’ve put thought into the application.
- Include a Strong Summary or Objective: Start your resume with a compelling summary or objective statement. This brief section should provide a snapshot of your career goals and what you bring. Make it attention-grabbing and tailored to the job.
- Highlight Achievements: Instead of just listing job duties, focus on your accomplishments and contributions. Use quantifiable metrics wherever possible to showcase your impact on past employers. This could include percentages, revenue figures, or project completion times.
- Use Keywords: Incorporate relevant keywords from the job description into your resume. Many employers use applicant tracking systems (ATS) to screen resumes, so using keywords can help your resume get noticed.
- Include Relevant Skills: List technical and soft skills pertinent to the job. Be specific and provide examples of how you’ve applied these skills in your previous roles.
- Show Continuous Learning: In the fast-paced world of technology and industry changes, demonstrate your commitment to learning and staying current. Mention relevant courses, certifications, or training you’ve completed.
- Quantify Your Impact: Use numbers and data to quantify your achievements wherever possible. This adds credibility to your claims and helps employers understand the scale of your contributions.
- Incorporate Industry Trends: If there are specific industry trends, tools, or methodologies relevant to your field, make sure to mention them. Employers often look for candidates who are up to date with the latest industry developments.
- Include a Professional Online Presence: If you have a LinkedIn profile, personal website, or online portfolio, include links to them on your resume. Ensure that your online presence aligns with the information on your resume.
- Proofread and Edit: Carefully proofread your resume to eliminate typos, grammatical errors, and inconsistencies. Consider having a trusted friend or professional review your resume as well.
- Consider a Modern Design: Depending on your industry, a visually appealing and modern design can help your resume stand out. However, maintain a balance between creativity and professionalism.
- Seek Feedback: Before finalizing your resume, seek feedback from mentors, colleagues, or professional resume writers. They can provide valuable insights and suggestions for improvement.
Remember that your resume reflects your professional identity, so invest time and effort into creating a compelling document highlighting your qualifications and accomplishments. Keep it current, and be prepared to adapt it for different job opportunities and industry changes in 2023 and beyond.
Is a Cover Letter Essential in 2023?
Cover letters were considered valuable but not always essential to job applications. However, their importance could vary depending on the industry, company, and job role.
In 2023, the significance of cover letters may continue to evolve, but they can still play a crucial role in your job application process.
Here’s why you should consider including a cover letter:
- Showcase Your Personality and Story: A cover letter allows you to introduce yourself beyond the facts on your resume. It’s an opportunity to share your passion, motivations, and personal story. This can help you connect with the hiring manager more humanly.
- Highlight Fit and Enthusiasm: Use the cover letter to explain why you’re an excellent fit for the role and the company. Express your enthusiasm for the position and your genuine interest in the organization. This can demonstrate your commitment and dedication.
- Address Unique Circumstances: If you have employment gaps, career changes, or other unique circumstances, a cover letter is a place to provide context and reassure the employer about your qualifications and commitment.
- Customization: A well-crafted cover letter for each job application can be customized, showcasing how your skills and experiences align with the position’s specific requirements. This level of personalization can make your application stand out.
- Demonstrate Communication Skills: Writing an effective cover letter is an opportunity to showcase your written communication skills, which are essential in most professions. It also demonstrates that you took the time to tailor your application.
- Address Employer Needs: Use the cover letter to address the employer’s specific needs and challenges. Discuss how you can contribute to solving those challenges and how your skills align with their goals.
- Make a Strong First Impression: A well-crafted cover letter can leave a positive impression on the hiring manager. It’s an opportunity to grab their attention before they delve into your resume.
- Differentiate Yourself: In competitive job markets, a cover letter can be a tool to differentiate yourself from other candidates who may submit only a resume. It shows you went the extra mile to express your interest and qualifications.
While cover letters can be valuable, it’s essential to recognize that not all employers may prioritize them to the same extent. Some job postings may explicitly request a cover letter, while others may state that it’s optional. In such cases, it’s advisable to include a cover letter if you believe it will enhance your application or if requested.
Ultimately, the decision to include a cover letter should be based on the specifics of the job application and your assessment of how it can help you present yourself as a strong candidate. It’s also a good idea to research the company’s application requirements and preferences to align your application accordingly in 2023.
The Bottom Line
You will need much time, effort, and research to build a professional resume. Hence, we recommend learning from the guidelines mentioned above and using an AI resume maker online to prepare the first draft of your resume.
After building the first draft, you can change it based on your learnings and preferences. This way, you can easily build a job-winning resume without wasting time on irrelevant guides and web pages.
FAQ about how to build a good resume
How to make an outstanding resume?
To create an outstanding resume, focus on clear formatting, emphasize relevant skills and achievements, tailor it to each job, and ensure accuracy and professionalism.
How to make a resume on an iPhone?
To create a resume on an iPhone, download a resume-building app or use a word processing app, input your contact and career details, choose a template, format it professionally, proofread for errors, save it as a PDF or Word document, and then send or upload it for job applications.
How to write a resume cover letter?
To write a concise cover letter, briefly introduce yourself, state the position you’re applying for, highlight your relevant qualifications and achievements, express your enthusiasm for the role, and request an opportunity for an interview.